BS Portfolio Review
If you wish to be admitted to the Bachelor of Science (BS) degree, as an art major, a rigorous review of foundations course work will take place in early March of the first year. Acceptance into the BS degree does not guarantee acceptance into the BFA degree track in an emphasis area. Each emphasis area conducts its own BFA reviews annually, and in general, candidates must already have been admitted to the BS program. Notification of acceptance or non-acceptance will take place before the beginning of priority registration (in April).
Image requirements are 1080x1080, 1080x720, or 1080 in the longest dimension @ 72dpi
2. Three additional examples of your artwork (this can be work done for a class or independently);
3. An unofficial transcript with first semester and mid-term grades for the second semester showing that you are on track to earn a
minimum 2.75 GPA;
4. A completed application form;
5. A list with descriptions of all 12 artworks submitted including the course for which it was made (if applicable), the instructor's name, the
assignment title, medium, size, and a brief description of the assignment or the artistic challenge and your solution.
Criteria for Evaluation
- Technical ability and understanding of principles of art and design (portfolio)
- A strong work ethic and active commitment to learning (grades)
Admission to BS Degree
For Those Not Admitted to the BS Degree
Transfer students with 60 or more transfer credits and/or an Associates Degree must submit a portfolio to the Department of Art & Design before being admitted. Portfolio's are reviewed twice a year by the Department of Art & Design; in October for admission for spring semester, and in March for admission for fall semester. Students should check the department website for specific dates and deadlines. Students should set up an appointment with the Art & Design advisor, Angela Neff, to discuss the criteria for the portfolio. Appointments can be made by going to www.usu.edu/advisors. Click on Caine College of the Arts then click on Angela's name.
Transfer Student Portfolio:
For those transfer students who have not completed or enrolled in the foundations studio courses (Drawing I, 2-D Design, 3-D Design), your portfolio will consist of:
- Ten digital images (1080x1080, 1080x720 or 1080 in the longest dimension @72dpi) of artwork created in the last 3 years.
- At least two of these images MUST be representative of your ability to draw from life. These two drawings need to be produced from actual/direct observation (no photo references) of a subject; set up a still life, draw from a figure or an interior space.
List of Works:
A list with all of the following information for all 12 images:
- course for which the work was made (if applicable)
- title of the assignment (if applicable)
- brief (1-2 sentence) description of the assignment, or describe the artistic challenge presented in the work and your solution
Download and complete the Fillable PDF Template and save.