APPLICATIONS FOR THE BS DEGREE IN ART MUST BE RECEIVED IN THE ART AND DESIGN OFFICE
BY 4:00 PM, OCTOBER 1, 2014
Departmental Admission Requirements
Students applying to the BS degree in Art must submit a portfolio for review by the Department of Art and Design. Instructions for the application can be found below. Portfolio reviews are conducted twice per year, once during fall semester and once during spring semester. Students applying for this degree should have a GPA of at least 2.75.
Only students who have been admitted to the BS degree are eligible to apply for the BFA degree. Students applying to the BFA degree in Art must go through a second portfolio review process conducted by faculty in the emphasis area that the student wishes to study. Students applying for this degree program should have a GPA of at least 2.75.
Transfer students should make an appointment to meet with the Department of Art and Design undergraduate advisor, Sally Peterson, firstname.lastname@example.org or (435)-797-8096, prior to application.
Participation in the BA program in Art History is limited to students with at least a 2.5 GPA.
Students who wish to be an art major at Utah State University must do the following:
1. Be admitted to Utah State University
2. Submit a portfolio for review which contains the following:
a. CD with 10 digital images (.JPEG format) of your best artwork completed in the last two years. Only digital images will be accepted. DO NOT send actual artwork.
- • Title and number your artwork as follows: number, first initial, underscore, and last name.
- (ie. 1R_Jensen.jpg, 2R_Jensen.jpg, etc.)
- • Individual images must not exceed maximum dimensions of 1024x768 pixels, (72dpi).
- It is recommended that you represent the highest quality of your work produced in ANY discipline
- including: drawing, ceramics, graphic design, painting, photography, printmaking, or sculpture.
- • At least TWO of these images MUST be representative of your ability to draw from life. These two
- drawings need to be produced from actual/direct observation (no photo references) of a subject;
- set up a still life, draw from a figure or an interior space.
- • CD must be protected by a jewel case
- • All works should reflect an original approach to concept and design. Images will be evaluated with
- particular consideration given to technical skills, 2-D and 3-D compositional development, and
- original/creative thinking.
b. List of works (numbered) that includes title, date completed, dimensions, and artistic medium. Numbers must correspond to images included on the CD.
c. 1-2 page letter of application.
- • Address your background in the visual arts
- • State your objectives for pursuing a degree in art.
- • State your current strengths and interests
- • State your aspirations for a career related to the visual arts
- • Highlight any awards or accomplishments in art
d. Transcript (does NOT have to be official) of your grades with your cumulative grade point average clearly identified. (print from Banner)